Thursday, April 25, 2013

Hello!

      Hello, and welcome to my blog! My name is Gemma, and this is my first official post. This blog has been created with the intention of fulfilling requirements from my zero period critical thinking class. Although most of you probably know that, some may not. Anyways, I thought I'd take this post to make a brief introduction and get some practice in before I actually do things.
     First things first: this is a media blog, meaning it is my job to analyze the media I see everyday. When I was first assigned this, I was very excited. But right now, I'm kinda nervous. I've tried blogging before, but this is different. Now, I'm at the mercy of my peers (although not really, I'm not officially being judged). Practically everybody I know is going to see this, and even though I don't know a lot of people, it's still pretty scary. Sometimes my thoughts are unorganized, and sometimes I can't explain them. But I'm going to try my very best to get my opinions across. Please bear with me.
    I decided to start off with a quote-image (quote by Banksy, photo found on imgur, also please pardon the language), because I felt that it emulates what I understand about advertising so far. To put it simply, if you can place a product in the way of someone and them loving themselves, you can sell them anything. 
    But there's more to media than just advertisements; there's also music, tv, radio, news, etc. It's everywhere. Sometimes it feels inescapable. Sometimes it feels suffocating. But through this blog, I'm going to cut my way through the thick-plastic-plastered-photo-shopped-airbrushed-nip-tucked-smog-blanket of media that surrounds me in my day-to-day life. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment