Sunday, May 5, 2013

Media Blog #4: Psy's "Gentleman" Is Just a Terrible "Gangam Style" Rehash

We all remember last September when Gangnam Style by Psy first got really popular. The song was fun, and the music video was outrageous and hilarious. Good times, good times. But Psy's fame meant there would be an inevitable attempt at him trying to prolong his 15 minutes. "Gentleman" is that attempt. Psy's "Gentleman" has been out for a couple weeks now, but I'm just now getting around to seeing it. Let me just put this out here: I hate it. Please re-read title for more details.

Don't get me wrong, Psy sounds like he could actually be a nice person based off his Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) that he did sometime last year. But this song is just awful. I loved Gangnam Style, although it did get overplayed, it was still a good song and I felt that it featured light humor, and the dance was simple enough to catch on like wild fire. In Gentleman, Psy tries to take almost every aspect from Gangnam Style and amp it up, but it just doesn't turn out right.

Exhibit A: Same people from the Gangnam Style video such as Yellow Suit Man
Exhibit B: Another attempt to make a snazzy dance craze. It pretty much just looks like hugging yourself and swaying side to side. This one won't catch on as well.
Exhibit C: The whole "sexy lady" thing isn't even funny anymore, it's just gross. I mean, rubbing oil all over girls, trying to take of their bathing tops, lotsa booty shots. Come on. Really?
Exhibit D: Even the lyrics this time are worse.
Exhibit E: Psy's just being a huge jerk the whole time. Maybe that's supposed to be funny, but personally I think it's just awful.

There's way more to the video that I hate, but I doubt that any of it is going to keep people from making it a hit. *Sigh*. See what I did there? B-because sigh souds like psy? ... Nevermind, I'll leave.

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually confused as to how he ever got popular in the first place.... I think Gangnam Style was just as bad as this one and that he has no place in pop culture.

    ReplyDelete