Sunday, May 12, 2013

Media Blog #5: Welcome to Facebook, You Are Now an Advertiser.

Screen cap from my own facebook, please do not friend me.
Some of you out there may have noticed that a couple weeks ago, Facebook added a new update to their website that allows you to update everything from your mood to what you are eating.

At first I thought "Wow! This is really nifty!" and then I began to realize what it really was. Cheap advertising. By updating your mood you may not be doing any harm, but if you update any of the others you've become an advertiser. It's the ultimate way of getting people to spread to people what's hip, or even just simply anything that they're doing.

The update buttons are practically advertisements themselves, if you notice how under drinking and eating, the list contains very generic things like: coffee, tea, hot chocolate. No specific brands. However, under watching, reading, and listening to specific shows, books and musical artists are mentioned. I'm just curious as to whether or not anybody payed to have their names go under those titles. I would suppose it would be worth it because after that point they'll have the general populous advertising for them, for free. With every status update, you too can spread the word of advertising! Wow!

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't noticed this, but it's kind of scary. I absolutely agree that we are being used to advertise... ahh...

    ReplyDelete